Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Love Stories

A friend does a top ten challenge each week on Tuesdays. You can check that out here. So last week's top ten theme was top ten literary love stories in your opinion. As we discussed the options from smarmy - "Romeo and Juliet" to heartbreaking " Gone with the wind's Scarlett and Rhett" to inspiring " Claire and Jaime - The Outlander series" to sweet "Winnie the Pooh and Christopher Robin" I felt that odd tugging my soul. I racked my mind to come up with ideas for this list and the quiet tug went ignored.

Shame on me.

The day went on and  I continued to ruminate on  my favorite love stories. All of them, not only literary. Isn't it interesting how we invest in love, daydream about love, soak in it's beginnings, drown ourselves in love's mystery? We as a culture are in love with love. Seeking for it, striving for it, searching for it, imagining it, creating it, and  grieving it. Romance is every little girl's dream. Love every person's desire beyond all else.

I have heard people talk about the hole in the heart that everyone is trying to fill up with something. That place that only God can fill. I think this is why people are obsessed with love and the idea of love. Because we are bombarded with images of love we get a skewed idea of what we need.

The tug comes again....

The greatest love story.... "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish,  but have eternal life." John 3:16

That Christ would have died on the cross to pay for my sin even if I was the only one who needed it.

This is the most amazing love story ever written for me.


Caite

No comments: