Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Be Aware...

I sit watching, listening to the voices gurgling all about  me like a stream burbling over rocks. Opinions being thrown out almost at random. People with purpose striding in and out quickly. Others sitting and debating the meaning of life. People discussing the ability of one to achieve happiness. I am saddened by the cynical conversation so void of hope. Another conversation drifts by celebrating the joy of an impending birth. My heart lifts as the babble of two small boys asking a million curious questions washes over my table. One man discusses playing golf in the bitter November wind.

As I work on my meal calendar and grocery list, all these conversations surge around me. Papa God loves these people. The agnostic in the corner who wants everyone to know that in his opinion faith is futile. God loves him. The student studying in the cushy chair, concentrating fiercely. The barista who knows what I will order even before I have decided. He prides himself on knowing and delighting the regulars. I am filled with a sense of the Lord's passion for these people.

When was the last time I really listened to another person. I tend to live my insulated life. Doing my own thing. Worrying and working on my myriad of projects. Paying no attention to the people God brings into and out of my life on a daily basis. Keeping to myself and not reaching out to give of my gifts. I want to be more obedient to reaching out to the people around as the Holy Spirit prompts me. Not to shove my beliefs at them but just to care for them. Being obedient to give of self is frightening. But the Lord promises He will guide and protect us.

So this week reach out. Give of self. Choose one person to love on, care about, pray over, and quietly bless. This does not need to be showy or overt, only obedient. Seek the Father for direction and then act. Maybe you will reach out to a complete stranger by paying for the car behind you at the drive through. Maybe you will smile at someone who is feeling lonely. Whatever it is do it.

There is a song  out right now by Brandon Heath that convicts me. The chorus says:
"Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the brokenhearted
Ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see"


Lord today show me your heart and lead me to reach out as you guide me!

No comments: