Friday, November 27, 2009

Of Elephants and Trust

          Thanksgiving was a lovely, quiet, and silly day. We talked repeatedly of  what we are Thankful for this year, month, and week. Now Bright One mentions her thankfulness on a regular interval throughout the day. We had family, fabulous food, and fun! Thanksgiving, regardless of its roots, is a wonderful reminder to take stock, give thanks, and be aware of God's blessings in our life.
           Today, Black Friday, did not see me shopping. I do not find shopping a greatly enjoyable experience at the best of times. I like to get new things like the next girl. But I do not like crowds, pressure and frantic feelings. Therefore I was thrilled that Grandpa and Busia had other plans. Today's adventure began with breakfast and then a trip to Chicago's United Center for the Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus - The greatest show on Earth. What Fun! We arrived early for the pre-show that involved being on the show floor talking to the clowns as they applied their makeup, seeing the elephants up close and personal as they painted pictures, and watching the high wire artists warm up on the low wire. Great excitement to be up close to the performers, especially the elephants. We found our seats and the clowns went crazy! The two hours flew past in a cascade of action, action everywhere. Often I didn't know where to look because there was action in every part of the arena. They do tricks in one corner of the arena and when they finish you look back the the set has totally changed. There was even an act on the ceiling! Love Bug and Bright One watched and chattered, asking thousands of questions. Love Bug said her favorite part was when they disappeared the elephant . Bright One says her favorite was when they launched the two girls out of a huge double cannon. Although she changes her favorite almost every time you ask her. The circus was wonderful fun!
        During the pre-show there was a huge crowd so The Admiral and Grandpa put the girls up on their shoulders so they could see better. Love Bug was very nervous being on her daddy's shoulders ( He is a very tall guy!). She kept a death grip on  his neck. There was no way the Admiral would have let her fall. But Love Bug didn't trust that fact and therefore spent more time worrying about  falling than watching the neat stuff unfolding before her. I realized I do that with God. Frequently heavenly Father asks me to trust him in what feels uncertain. I spend so much time worrying about the precariousness of the situation that I miss the blessing God intended for me. How many times do we miss the blessings God has for us because we are looking at the circumstances instead of God?

Father teach me to trust you. Teach me to look for your blessings instead of looking at my fears. You are not a God of fear. Help me Lord to trust and seek you in every day and every place.

No comments: