Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What is your passion? part 2

On Saturday I discussed passion and dreams. Everyone has them. Some of  us have too many to focus on any one dream.

Yet every day we make decisions.

We make choices on which activities are the most important toward our goals for that day. Do you have big goals for the day or will you be content to get dinner on the table in a timely manner? Do you know where you are going or are you floating through your days with no thought to direction or eventual destination?  Have you thought about where you want to end up? I find myself overwhelmed by the choices of what to do with myself.

There was an after school special when I was a kid. "The Million Dollar Cat" This cat had wisdom. My favorite quote comes from this fine movie " Inch by inch, life is a cinch. Yard by yard, it's very hard!"  I feel overwhelmed thinking about the big picture. But thinking about this week or that specific project or this month, I can conquer that. It is a smaller goal that I can handle. I can grab a hold of a project. That goal is small enough to take it on. Little by little each task or goal can be broken down into tiny doable segments. When I just say I want to write a book - that overwhelms me. It is too big. Too intimidating. I must, must, break it down into pieces I can handle.

So as you think and pray about your dreams, your goals. Don't overwhelm yourself. Breakdown the goal into doable pieces. Be realistic. Make the segments small and doable. Celebrate those little successes. Focus on the the first step. Conquer it. Keep trying until you conquer it. Celebrate conquering that step. Focus on the next step. Conquer it.

Pray, pray, pray! For direction, wisdom, stamina and endurance. Ask him to light your path. Do not worry about 5 steps in the future. Work on the next step.

Lord help me to focus on the next step and trust you to keep me directed and motivated toward the goals you want to me pursue.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amen. And thank you for speaking what I need to hear.