Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Rain Barrel

So this morning I logged in and looked at my blog. Then I freaked out. I apologize dear friends for almost two weeks of silence. I am not really sure what happened. Time flew past me. I am amazed at how fast the week has gone and all the adventures I haven't shared. God's lessons small and large building up around me. I process and I work. I watch my girls play in the snow.

 
                              pic from freefoto.com
Christmas is a time of chosen joy and deliberate attention to God's gifts. Taking time to read next to our beautiful tree is a special privilege. Baking to excess and sharing the bounty, a pleasure. Wrapping gifts to create loving surprises. Each activity is a memory drop stored in the vast barrel that collects them like the huge rain barrel that saved rain for watering the garden. I save these little memory drops and store them for those dry days when my inspiration is parched and needs rejuvenated. This time of year is rich with memory drops as we step away from the mundane and into special activities, books, tv shows, ideas. When January comes and we return to the mundane the barrel is precariously full, in danger of flowing over. In that moment I know that I am blessed.

Fill up your rain barrel. Stock up on memories. Be intentional about making memories. Choose not to survive the Holidays - Choose to LIVE them richly. Treasure the gift of God that makes it possible for us to have relationship with him.

So I wasn't ignoring my blog this week - I was out filling my rain barrel.

Caite

4 comments:

Unknown said...

a great reminder, friend. it can be so easy to get so caught up in the business to completely miss the Joy of Christmas. And even when we are aware and storing up those drops- to forget to take the time to share them. Thanks!

Janet Rose said...

This has brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your thoughts today!

Caite said...

Thank You both for the response! I am glad this blessed you.

Pam D. said...

Wow, beautiful imagery! Thanks for the reminder. I need to add a few drops to my rain barrel, because our holidays may change next year! Children are growing up! (Pam)