Monday, June 21, 2010

A Success

    ... Defined as meeting ones objective.
Hmm, So often I look at what I've done and question whether this project  or that endeavor was a success. Frequently my objectives (read dreams or visions) are so much more than the final reality. Yet others come and tell me how wonderful, how terrific or whatever the event was. So do their accolades make the event a success? I have started to revise my view a bit. Perhaps my dreams of an event are just that, dreams. Perhaps I need to listen more closely to what the Lord's objectives are for my projects. I strive to pay attention to God for IF I should do a given project. But often I do not listen so well to the HOW it should be done or the goals God has planned for an event or happening. I have suddenly realized this makes me a wide open target for the devil to whisper "You failed" "You never do anything right!" "Boy was that mediocre." I catch myself believing these lies of the evil one because I wasn't sure of where I was supposed to go in the first place.
       This is an example of Lordship and Leadership. As children of the living God we should desire to know Him so closely that His desires are our desires. Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."  A few years ago I heard a sermon that radically changed my view on this passage. "delight yourself..." This means to be so in love with our God that you are so excited about Him that you desire to work constantly to get closer to Him and His desires for you. "...he will give you the desires of your heart." God will show you what to be passionate about, what to desire. This verse doesn't say God will give what ever whim pops into your head. It tells us that he will teach us what to treasure what to desire. He will lead us.
       Will I follow? I want to. I want to give Him the most honored place in my life. I think I do. Often my actions don't bear this out.  I do it my way. I do not seek him. I want to change this. I want to work to change. He says He will lead me. I can trust Him. I cannot promise I will always have realistic goals. I cannot say every endeavor will be a practice in obedience. But I am working to be more focused on giving God Lordship & Leadership in my life.

Lord - Guide me. Help me to let you lead me. Help me to keep you as Lord of my life.

No comments: