Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fall is Yummy

Fall is yummy! Many of my favorite recipes are made in the fall. Warm hearty food. Chili and pie, soups and casseroles, mmmm just thinking of it makes me hungry. Christin at Joyful Mothering asked for a fall recipe link up. It is very hard for me to decide but this time I have decided to share my favorite soup recipe. This is fairly healthy and very quick to make.

Ham and Potato Soup 

Ingredients:
          12 to 16oz ham cubed
          1 medium onion cubed
          2-3 carrots diced
          2 stalks celery diced
                     (adjust so that you have similar amounts of each of the veggies)
          3-5 Tbsp butter
          1-2 cloves of garlic sliced
          1/4 to 1/2 cup flour
          4 cups chicken stock
          2 cups water
          1-1/2 lbs potatoes diced

           salt, pepper,cayenne - to taste
           cream


Melt butter in large stock pot, allow to brown slightly then add diced veggies, ham and sliced garlic.

Saute until veggies are tender. Add flour in to make a roux. Stir in flour until all moisture is absorbs then add cold stock a little bit at a time. 

Allow to simmer while you prep potatoes (15min). 

Check taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed, then add potatoes.

Simmer for 15-20 minutes - until potatoes are done. 

Then mash potatoes lightly with a masher to break them up a little. You can do this to your texture preference.

Remove from heat and add 1 cup heavy cream ( may substitute milk) and a dash of cayenne. 

Serve with crusty bread.

My kids love this stuff and would like me to make it repeatedly I think. I go light on the cayenne when making it for the kids. It is yummy, comfort, food. A dish that makes me happy on long fall nights. Enjoy!

Caite


No comments: