A few days ago the girls and I decided to make popcorn balls. MMMMMMMMMMM !!!! Melted marshmallowy goodness flavored with Jello and coating the popcorn. Joyful, happy, wonderful, mouthwatering, tasty, happiness. I like these. We made black cherry flavored popcorn balls. Then in the midst of the mess making I decided caramel popcorn sounded good too. Because, you know, if the kitchen is already a mess you might as well make it worse. I discovered my recipe had gone awol, so I went looking for one on allrecipes.com. The first recipe I looked at had a 5-star comment that began, "Do NOT make this recipe unless you have iron will power or are giving it away. You will not be able to leave it alone."
It was so right. The stuff is beyond addictive!
My kids kept saying "there seems to be less in the container, Mom. Are
you eating it when we are not around?" Well, of course! You try sitting
in the same house with such a massively addictive substance as caramel
popcorn and not eating it!
If there's one thing I know, it is that I do not have an iron will.
There are so many things far less addictive than caramel popcorn that I
allow to distract me. Making time to be with the Father is the one way I
can come to know Him more. Making time to be in His word. Making time
to listen for his voice. Yet like a dog when a squirrel runs by, my
attention goes askew and I am off on a tangent.
I lean on the Father above to strengthen my will. Only He is is enough.
As I sit nibbling on the caramel popcorn and thinking about all the
things in life that distract me from the Lord, I am surprised at my lack
of will power. I like to think I am mature in my faith, and then I am
reminded that I have so far to go. I am blessed that He will go with me.
He will pull me back when the squirrels run by.
Lord, today I give my focus to you, reign in my wandering mind.
Non stick cooking spray
4 quarts popped popcorn
1 cup brown Sugar
1/2 cup dark (or light) Karo corn syrup
1/2 cup butter
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
Optional: 1 cup roasted peanuts
1. Spray large shallow roasting pan with cooking spray. Add popcorn and place in preheated 250 degree oven while preparing caramel.
2. Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a heavy 2 quart saucepan. Stirring constantly, Bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. Boil for 5 minutes w/o stirring. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla; mix well.
4. pour syrup over warm popcorn; stirring to coat evenly ( if adding peanuts - this is the time)
5. bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally ( I did this every 10 minutes or so). Remove from oven and spread on foil or parchment that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick spray.
6. Cool. break apart. Store in a tightly covered container. ( I recommend something not see through.)