Wednesday, September 29, 2010

word watcher

"Words, words, words I'm so sick of words" Eliza Doolittle 

I believe that words get on my nerves due to the misuse of some and the overuse of others. This has become a love - hate relationship. I am writing this blog because the Lord told me to do so. Words are necessary to this task. I find myself listening for unique words that can replace the tired and misused words so abundant in our culture. Isn't plethora a cool way to say 'a lot?'  This awareness of words has spilled over into my speaking and listening as well.

In becoming a parent, I have found myself also becoming a word watcher. I think this happens to most parents who wish to raise well - behaved, language - conscious children. We become careful with our language, our music, and what media we allow them to intake. This is an important part of parenting. Being a word watcher is also an important part of my own well being. Some words build up; some tear down. Our sub-conscious hears and absorbs them all. I am struggling with keeping my self-talk positive. Satan would have me believe I am so much less than my value. But God's word says I am heir to the kingdom. That makes me a princess. A person of great value indeed. Since it takes seven positive statements to override a negative one in our brains, we must take every thought captive. 2 Corinthians 10:5 "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." (emphasis mine) I must choose to believe the promises of God in scripture. I must choose to reject the destructive words of the evil one. If I do not do this, I  find myself desperately trying not to drown in a flood of negativity and depression. While you may not deal with depression, we all get dragged down when we allow the negative to overpower us. So I choose. I choose to believe I am God's Princess. I am precious to the God of the universe. So are you. Believe it!

I challenge you this week to take your thoughts captive. Keep a journal of the moments when you choose who you will listen to. You will be surprised how easy it is to tear yourself down over little things. Take those thoughts captive and celebrate your heritage in Christ.

Lord this week help me to take my thoughts captive and focus on your voice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This message is especially needed by those of us who have had a significant person in our childhood fill our head with lies about who we are with their endless insults. We need to truly believe this destructive voice speaking lies in our mind is not our own, that it is a liar who has no right and no power over us anymore. And ask and trust God for the strength to overcome those who would bring us down, so we can rise to all the good that God intends for his precious child.

Thanks again Caite, Patrick